The James White Award Short Story Competition was established in 2000. It is open only to non-professional writers and offers them the opportunity to have their work published in Interzone, the UK’s leading and longest established science fiction magazine.
Submissions are welcome from authors based anywhere in the world, but the stories must be written in English.
James White Award
Stories should be Science Fiction. More details about the topic can be found here
This year’s prize is £200 plus publication in Interzone.
Friday 27th April, 2018
Rules for Application
- Thi This aim of the competition is to highlight new writers. It is open to writers of any age and nationality, but it is not open to professional authors.
- Stories must be in English and must be between 1000 and 6,000 words in length. Stories over 6,000 words will be disqualified.
- Each author is allowed to enter one story per year.Authors who attempt to submit more than one story will have all their entries disqualified.
- Each story must be accompanied by a completed entry form.
- The competition is free to enter but we encourage authors (and others) to support the competition by making a donation, if they can.
- For the purposes of this competition a “professional author” is defined as one who is eligible for active membership of the Science Fiction Writers of America – that is a writer with three short story sales to qualifying markets or one novel sale to a qualifying market.
- The date on which this assessment is made is the closing date of the competition – not when the submission is made.
- A full list of qualifying markets can be found at the SFWA website. We make one addition to that list, which is Interzone.
- Submissions must be original – they should be the sole work of the author/s in whose name they are submitted – and should not have previously appeared in any publication or be under consideration for publication elsewhere – in any language or format.
- Stories should be Science Fiction (though we will take a broad definition of what that term means).
- Stories may not have been entered in The James White Award in any previous year.
- Stories may not feature characters/locations/ etc. that are part of other copyrighted works – i.e. nothing set in the universes of Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Dr Who,
- If you are sending a printed copy, please print on one side of the paper only, double space the text, leave a sensible margin around the text on all sides (approx. 2.5cm) and indent the first line of each paragraph.
- More advice on sensible manuscript formatting can be found on our writers’ guidelines page.
- Your name should only appear on the entry form.
- Do not put your name anywhere on your manuscript.
- The James White Award is judged anonymously, only the administrator knows the identity of a story’s author.
- Each page of the story should have a header containing the story title and page number. The author’s name should NOT appear on the page header.
- Please end your story with ‘The End’.
- The closing date for submissions is midnight (GMT) on Friday, 27th April, 2018.
- Online entries must be accompanied by a completed online form. See the “How to Enter”
This aim of the competition is to highlight new writers.
The Posting Format of Inspire Crib has been used in this publication. In the event of any republication on your website, please indicate a back-link to this post.