We aspire to future green cities around the globe—cities that are resilient, sustainable, livable, and just. What does this mean?
Let’s imagine. What are the stories of people and nature in cities in 2099? What will cities be like to live in? Are they lush and green, verdant and biodiverse? What will cities look like; be made of? How will they be designed and powered? Will they be tall, short, dense, underground or under water? What of public spaces? Social organization? Mobility? Government? Sustainability and food? Wildlife? Climate change and resilience? Poverty, consumption, wealth, and justice? How will we interact and relate to one another and the natural world? What sort of stories can we tell about our communities and the spaces that will shape them?
You tell us. What are the stories of people and the nature of cities in 2099?
The contest is open to anyone.
All entries submitted can be on any subject, and written in any style or form.
- Poems: 42 lines max. No minimum. Title not included.
- Short stories: 5000 words max. No minimum. Title not included.
- Flash fiction: 250 words max. No minimum. Title not included.
- Novel: 8,000 words max. 5,000 words minimum from opening chapters PLUS 300 word synopsis. Please note: the novel award is currently only open to writers in Britain and the Republic of Ireland.
- 1 Gold prize: $3,000 and a place in the collected publication
- 2 Silver prizes: $1,500 and a place in the collected publication
- 3 Bronze prizes: $500 and a place in the collected publication
Honourable mentions: no prize money, but included in the collected publication
15th April, 2018
Rules for Application
The work must:
- be 1000 words or less;
- be of any style or genre of fiction;
- be set in a city (of any size) in the year 2099;
- include as significant plot elements both nature and people;
- be submitted in English..
Visit website for more information.
The Posting Format of Inspire Crib has been used in this publication. In the event of any republication on your website, please indicate a back-link to this post.
Writing Coach. Award-winning Writer. Author of Conquering Your Illusions: a path to self-discovery. Connect with me on Facebook and Twiter