American University Washington College of Law Center for Human Rights & Humanitarian Law (Center), the American Society of International Law’s Lieber Society (ASIL), and the American Red Cross International Humanitarian Law team are pleased to announce the International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Student Writing Competition. The Competition seeks submissions of academic papers on the topic of international humanitarian law (IHL) from students currently enrolled in a law degree program in the United States or abroad.
The purpose of the Competition is to enhance scholarship and deepen understanding among students in this important area of international law.
Students must be currently enrolled in a law degree program at a U.S. or foreign law school as of the submission deadline.
American University Washington College of Law, Center for Human Rights & Humanitarian Law (Center), the American Society of International Law’s Lieber Society (ASIL), and the American Red Cross International Humanitarian Law team
The Intersection of International Humanitarian Law and Gender
- The winning author will receive a $500 cash prize and a one-year ASIL student membership.
- The winning author will also have the opportunity to present his or paper through a virtual conference with a panel of experts.
7th October 2015, 12:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Rules for Application
- Students must choose a legal topic related to this year’s theme, “The Intersection of International Humanitarian Law and Gender.” Papers without a direct focus on this theme will not be reviewed.
- Submissions must be unpublished papers written solely by the candidate in English.
- Students will receive an email confirmation that their submission was received no later than 24 hours after the submission deadline and should contact the organizers in the event they do not receive a confirmation email.
- Papers should be submitted via email to TeachingIHL@wcl.american.eduas Microsoft Word attachments.
- Each person submitting a paper must also fill out and submit a Submission Form (download here) and Confirmation of Enrollment (download here).
- Students experiencing difficulty using these forms should email questions to TeachingIHL@wcl.american.edu
- For complete Competition rules (click here)
- For frequently asked questions (click here)
- Visit website
The Posting Format of Inspire Crib has been used in this publication. In the case of any republication on your website, please indicate a backlink to this post.