Yes… I said that, and you read it right.
Most times it’s easy to grab a pen and paper or even PC with the intention to pen down bugging thoughts. But here’s what happens…
Just when you are about writing your first sentence, you awaken to the rather shocking reality, “Hey, I don’t know what to write about!” For some the line is more like, “Gosh, how do I write this?”
See? Do you now agree with me that writing sucks?
But how do you get by when you are keen to make waves in writing… and if possible build a writing career?
I’ve carefully selected 10 awesome quotes to get you fired up and love writing (in its YUCKY way). One salient fact you must become abreast of is:
“Writing sucks when you are writing, but rocks when everyone is reading.” ~ Michael Uzor
(You can quote me 🙂 )
Enough rigmarole … let’s cut the cake and have some bites:
10 awesome quotes to get you fired up and love writing
- “Keep on beginning and failing. Each time you fail, start all over again, and you will grow stronger until you have accomplished a purpose … not the one you began with perhaps, but one you’ll be glad to remember.” ~ Anne Sullivan Macy
- “You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we’re doing it.” ~ Neil Gaiman
- “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things about all others: read a lot and write a lot … reading is the creative centre of a writer’s life … you cannot hope to sweep someone else away by the force of your writing until it has been done to you.” ~ Stephen King
- “A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.”~ Richard Bach
- “I write when I’m inspired, and I see to it that I’m inspired at nine o’clock every morning.” ~ Peter De Vries
- “If you wait for inspiration to write; you’re not a writer, you’re a waiter.” ~ Dan Poynter
NB: Numbers 5 and 6 look contradictory, right? But really they are not; at least I don’t think so. Read them again and you’ll see they imply same thing.
- “Write freely and as rapidly as possible and throw the whole thing on paper. Never correct or rewrite until the whole thing is down. Rewrite in process is usually found to be an excuse for not going on. It also interferes with flow and rhythm which can only come from a kind of unconscious association with the material…” ~ John Steinbeck
- “Don’t use words too big for the subject. Don’t say “infinitely” when you mean “very;” otherwise you’ll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.” ~C.S. Lewis
- “Write what you know. Write what you want to know more about. Write what you’re afraid to write about.” ~ Cec Murphy
- “You can’t think yourself out of a writing block; you have to write yourself out of a thinking block.” ~ John Rogers
Really, these quotes are awesome … and I hope you think so too. What’s best is that they inspire me to write even when it sucks!
P.S: Here’s a bonus I’m giving you for making your way down to the end of this post. If you own a blog or you love fancy and creative photos, you can easily add inspiring pictures to your posts or download for your aesthetic appeal. Just take a click to Kozzi and sign up to download free blogpost-worthy photos. You know what they say, “A picture is more than a thousand words”
Tell me: What quotes fire you up to write? Can you stick to writing even when you know it sucks? Please leave your response in the comments.
Writing Coach. Award-winning Writer. Author of Conquering Your Illusions: a path to self-discovery. Connect with me on Facebook and Twiter