Today, Sept 21 2017, Travel Impact Newswire marks the United Nations International Day of Peace by launching an essay competition on how Travel & Tourism can contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The Olive Tree Awards essay competition is claimed to be the first of its kind in the global Travel & Tourism industry.
Young people under 30 all over the world are invited to submit essays of up to 1,200 words on how Travel & Tourism can advance the cause of the UN SDGs and meet the targets by 2030.
Writers must be aged under 30 at the date of submission (ID proof of age will be required). It is not necessary for writers to be employees or students of the Travel & Tourism industry. Anyone can submit an essay, but there must be a Travel & Tourism angle.
Travel Impact Newswire
What can young people do to advance the SDG cause?
How private companies and government agencies can mainstream the SDGs into their projects, plans, events and activities.
Controversial themes which challenge conventional wisdoms and go against the grain are particularly welcome (click here for ideas in this genre).
Look beyond environmental issues. Essays on good governance, anti-corruption, transparency, accountability, human rights, universal values, etc., are all welcome.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Although all essays must be in English, they will be judged on the quality of the ideas, NOT the quality of the English.
The competition will be held every six months, or two rounds a year. Each round will see the winners being awarded one first prize of US$1,000 and two runners up of US$500.
The deadline for the first round of submissions is 31st December, 2017. Winners will be notified by 15th March, 2018.
Rules for Application
- Essays must be written in English, up to a maximum length of 1,200 words.
- The winners of each round will be announced on 20 March marking the International Day of Happiness, and on 21 Sept, marking the International Day of Peace.
- Send all essays along with proof of age and a short personal biodata to Imtiaz Muqbil, Executive Editor, Travel Impact Newswire at this email address: email@example.com
Tips for writers:
- Study the SDGs carefully (click here);
- Think deeply about any aspect of Travel & Tourism which is relevant to the SDGs;
- Download the The Olive Tree publications to access thought-prompting ideas (click here);
- Pen an essay presenting a good idea, venting a powerful frustration, or sharing a passion, experience or event.
- Don’t feel held back. Let your creativity, and your conscience, be your guide.
The Posting Format of Inspire Crib has been used in this publication. In the event of any republication on your website, please indicate a back-link to this post.