The Center for Alcohol Policy is now accepting entries for its 10th Annual National Essay Contest. The Center’s national essay contest is intended to foster debate, analysis and examination of state alcohol regulation.
The contest is open to all persons who are over the age of 18 as of December 2017. Students, academics, practicing attorneys, policymakers and members of the general public are encouraged to submit essays.
Center for Alcohol Policy
The Supreme Court has recognized “temperance” as a permissible goal of state alcohol regulation. Define temperance as it would apply in today’s alcohol marketplace. Is it still relevant today? Should temperance still be recognized as a permissible goal of alcohol regulation?
First place winner: $5,000,
Second place winner: $2,500
Third place winner: $1000
1st December, 2017. Winners will be announced in early 2018.
Rules for Application
- For this essay contest, a wide range of essay formats are eligible and encouraged. These can be formal law review article submissions or non-academic essays.
- Any form of citations is acceptable as long as one form is consistent throughout the essay.
- The essay should be submitted double spaced with at least 12-point font in Times New Roman format and should not exceed 25 pages in length, exclusive of endnotes.
- Submissions that have been published previously or accepted for publication may be considered only if the author has secured consent from the other journal for the Center for Alcohol Policy to post the winning publication on its website with an appropriate note about the other publication.
- All entries become the property of the Center for Alcohol Policy.
- All submissions will go through an initial screening process. All eligible submissions will be reviewed by three screening judges.
- Finalists from this process then will be given to a panel of judges who will judge each essay on its analysis of the question, the depth of this analysis, the readiness of the essay for publication, the quality of the writing, the originality of the topic and the analysis used, the thoroughness of the research and its overall ability to creatively and effectively define temperance as it would apply in today’s alcohol marketplace and if and how it is still relevant today.
- No relatives of individuals working for the Center for Alcohol Policy, its leadership or contest judges are eligible to submit entries for this contest. Any interested person working for a government entity must certify their ability to enter and win this contest prior to submitting an essay and comply with appropriate ethics laws.
- Entries may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Center for Alcohol Policy
Attn: Essay Contest
1101 King St., Suite 600-A
Alexandria, VA 22314
Visit website for more information.
The Posting Format of Inspire Crib has been used in this publication. In the event of any republication on your website, please indicate a back-link to this post.
Writing Coach. Award-winning Writer. Author of Conquering Your Illusions: a path to self-discovery. Connect with me on Facebook and Twiter